Saturday, November 22, 2008

More Monogamous, Part II


A few weeks ago, I wrote that I’d like to become more monogamous with my fragrances so I get to know each one better and can discern which I truly love. The ground rules are that I wear one scent during the day, Monday through Friday, but can switch in the evenings and on weekends.

For week #1 I chose Chanel Coromandel. It was a breeze for 3 days but the last 2 days were a bit of a struggle. Week #2 I chose Teo Cabanel Alahine and loved every moment of all five days. On week #3 I chose Chanel No. 22 and loved every moment of all five days. Next week, week #4, I’m planning to wear either Givenchy Organza Indecence or LouLou because both seem cozy and warm for spending time with family over Thanksgiving.

I must tell you that I’m enjoying this new fragrance routine. It shows me which perfumes I really love and which could be pared down. I like having a familiar scent, a signature scent of sorts, for a five day stretch. And, so far, it’s been fairly painless choosing each week’s perfume. I’m curious as to whether I’ll begin to repeat fragrances or if I’ll continue to choose a different perfume without repeating.

3 comments:

SIMONE SHITRIT said...

Dear Abigail,
I was once very attached to the concept of one fragrance to wear during the day, one to go out. I would switch only after my nose got tired and i could not really smell all the notes. Than i began to write about perfume and get samples and buy a lot.
Today I became a real whore. I wear 1000 perfumes per week and indeed I never get to the botton, to really feel the fragrance and all the facets of it.
I too, had the idea to get back to wear the same fragrance all week and switch in the weekend.
Although sometimes you are looking for an specif mood...

Kisses Simone.

indieperfumes said...

After the Sniffas I go through a mad trying on of one after the other for awhile, then it settles down to trying something, being in love with it and having it on for a period of time. Then something happens, a change in the season, or a personal event, and the past is swept away and I experiment with something new. Reading other people's blogs also influences me to try what they are raving about. The lemming effect is very real.

ScentScelf said...

Serial monogamy has its advantages, no?

I am rather like Lucy in alternating periods of mad sampling with seasons of longer term relationships, but nothing says that might not develop into even longer term adventures.

Perhaps eventually I'll become a perfume polygamist, since I am already identifying mates I could likely spend a lifetime with. (Bois des Isles being a notable entry in that column.)

I'm glad you are enjoying your experiment.